Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 20:20:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc W <mwlist@akira.lanfear.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Makefile Q

Hello!

	Hope this an appropriate question for the list.  I've got a Makefile
and it's got the usual stuff in it, but there's one place where I can't quite
find a way to make the rules generic.  I have to run some header files through
Trolltech's MOC, and then compile the output.

	So, my rules have to be like:

OBJS=moc_widget.o moc_moo.o main.o

.cc.o:
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) etc ...

moc_widget.cc:  widget.h
	$(MOC) widget.h -o widget.cc

moc_moo.cc: moo.h
	$(MOC) moo.h -o moo.cc

	This kinda sucks because for each header I add that needs to be
preprocessed, I have to add a new target.

	Now, what I'd REALLY like is something like:

OBJS=moc_widget.o moc_moo.o main.o

.cc.o:
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) etc ...

moc_$(SOMETHING).cc:
	$(MOC) $(SOMETHING).h -o moc_$(SOMETHING).cc

	Any suggestions on how to do this or something similar?

	thanks!

	marc.