Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 1997 18:18:47 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        adam@choice.net (Mark Knipfer)
Cc:        interrupt request <irq@stepahead.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD v2.1.7

>On Sun, 30 Mar 1997 18:32:04 -0500 (EST), you wrote:
>
>I removed the SCSI cards (scanner, iomega zip drive card) and the network card.
>The only two cards are in there are the SoundBlaster 16 card and the STB
>Powergraph 64V video card, and now the system just reboots.  FreeBSD did
>install to a point, then it just kept rebooting each time that I tried to load
>(install) the OS.
>
>Any other ideas?  I installed from a bootable FreeBSD diskette and direct to
>the cd-rom after booting up on a MSDOS 6.22 diskette.

   My best guess is that you have a problem with one of:

1) bad memory or too-fast memory timing
2) bad cache chip
3) EIDE not liking mode 4

   Try slowing down the memory a notch or two and see if this has any effect
on the problem. Also try temporarily disabling the external cache to see if
this has any effect. Try setting your EIDE to mode 3 or auto.
   There are thousands of people with machines nearly identical to yours who
have had no problems at all. This really does sound like bad memory.

-DG

David Greenman