Date:      Thu, 11 Feb 1999 07:29:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      david@inty.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/10028: TCP problem binding port - address already in use

>Number:         10028
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       TCP problem binding port - address already in use
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
FreeBSD inty.david.inty.net 3.0-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE #2: Fri Jan  8 19:02:26 GMT 1999     david@brian.visint.co.uk:/usr/src/sys/compile/NEWINTY  i386

I am developing a server program which listens on a port (8080 in this case)
Often when the program exits (usually on a signal), the kernel does not
'unbind' the port (i.e. netstat -na shows the port still in LISTEN state). I
can still make connections to the port, even though there is no process
listening on it. Trying to run the server program again reports 'address
already in use'. There is no way to clear this problem other than rebooting,
which is unacceptable.

The problem occurs with kernel versions 2.2.x and 3.0

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
rebooting. :(