Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 00:39:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave Hummel <HUMMDN36@BUFFALOSTATE.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help with IDE CD-ROM

Hi,
        I'm about to try to do the same install with a similar system, so I
read up on it in the The Complete FreeBSD. I hope what I tell you helps, but I
have not tried it yet (although I've done several successful installs from a
DOS partition).
        Page 29 (this book was actually written for 2.1.5) says that an IDE, or
ADAPI, should be configured as a slave device. Also, be sure to use the
adapi.flp instead of the regular boot.flp.
        Page 43 also says you can do this: assuming your cd is R:, and you're
in DOS       c:\> R:
             r:\> cd \
             r:\> inst_ide
        As a last resort I believe you can copy the disk to a DOS partition and
install from there- DOS partition installs seem pretty reliable.
        I hope this works, but please keep your eye out for further messages,
as someone who has been through this may well tell us that I'm completely
wrong.
Peace,
Dave