Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 11:15:32 -0700
From:      Josef Grosch <jgrosch@mooseriver.com>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "No tun0 ?"

On Sat, Jul 07, 2001 at 10:16:28AM -0700, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> Hello Family,
>
> In trying to replace my Linux NATD/DNS perimeter box I've followed
> the firewall howto at the BSD Vault site, recompiled the kernel
> "word for word" by the instructions and I of couse expected some
> errors but the one that dmesg says is the one I'm concerned with
> now, it's no tun0
>
> I'm running FreeBSD-4.2 loaded off the released CD

Do you have the following line in your kernel config file ?

   pseudo-device   tun

If you do you should have tun0. If not add that line to the config file and
recompile the kernel. It should already be there. Try going into the /dev
directory and try the following

   cd /dev
   ./MAKEDEV tun0

That should do it.

Josef

--
Josef Grosch           | Another day closer to a | FreeBSD 4.3
jgrosch@MooseRiver.com |   Micro$oft free world  | www.bafug.org