Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 12:06:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Kersten <tomkersten98@yahoo.com>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>, Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is fetchmail with Cox possible?????

--- Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com> wrote:
> At Thu, 7 Mar 2002 it looks like Andreas Ntaflos
> composed:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 06:15:50PM -0800, Tom
> Kersten wrote:
> > >
> > > thanks for the reply...I have tried that also,
> the
> > > result is the same, I just happened to give you
> this
> > > version. Unless I have to do something other
> than
> > > restart fetchmail, that doesn't seem to solve
> the
> > > problem. Thanks for the reply...any other
> ideas???
> > >

> > It may be a sendmail issue, too. You could try
> first not running fetchmail in
> > daemon mode but start it normally and have it
> being verbous: fetchmail -v
> > This may give you some more info on what is going
> on while fetchmail fetches
> > mail.
> >

> Hmm, why don't we bypass sendmail altogether and do
> what I do to
> test this:
>

> (there is 3 lines total here in my ~/.fetchmailrc)
>
> set daemon 300
>
> poll <your_POP_address> with protocol POP3:
>
> user <POP_account_name> there with password
> <POP_password> is
> <local_username> here mda "/usr/local/bin/procmail
> -f - "

everyone...thanks for the replies...this is the
~/.fetchmailrc file I have am trying now....

#fetchmailrc    <--not in file
**************  <--not in file

set daemon 300

poll smtp.west.cox.net with protocol POP3:

user thomas@mydomain.com there is thomas here mda
"/usr/local/bin/procmail -f - "

***********       <--not in file

I took out the password just to show the way it is
trying to connect....here is the command i run and
it's output:

thomas@www:/home/thomas> fetchmail -v
fetchmail: removing stale lockfile
Enter password for
thomas@mydomain.com@smtp.west.cox.net:
thomas@www:/home/thomas>

***********
as you can see...there is nothing after i enter my
password....just returns my prompt. Is this supposed
to be like this? either way, i have two messages in
the account...1 read and 1 unread and neither of them
are returned to my local mailbox. I have not changed
anything in sendmail yet...it is set at the default
configuration. it seems like everything is working
correctly...no errors or anything....is it possible
that the stuff is being sent to me and my firewall is
blocking it...??? I posted it before, but here is the
entry in my ipf.config....

ipf.config        <---not in file
************      <---not in file
pass  in  quick on rl0 proto tcp from any to
<my.ip.add.ress> port = 80 flags S keep state
pass  in  quick on rl0 proto tcp from any to
<my.ip.add.ress> port = 22 flags S keep state
pass  in  quick on rl0 proto smtp from any to
<my.ip.add.ress> port = 25 flags S keep state
pass  out quick on rl0 proto tcp from any to any keep
state
pass  out quick on rl0 proto udp from any to any keep
state
pass  out quick on rl0 proto icmp from any to any keep
state
block out quick on rl0 all

Assuming this is not the problem...I am stuck. It
seems like I have tried enough different versions of
the ~/.fetchmailrc file that one of them had to
work...but nothing. Do I really need to go into the
Sendmail config file??? No problem if I do, but I was
under the impression that the mail should at least be
delivered somewhere (like /var/mail/thomas) and then
dumped to sendmail, which handled it from there. I
didn't think that it would affect the delivery of my
mail from the external server. Anyway, let me know if
you can think of anything else that would prevent this
from working correctly...

thanks again for all the pointers so far,

thomas