Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 1995 14:57:40 +0100 (MEZ)
From:      me@dude.pcs.dec.com ( Michael Elbel )
To:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Would someone please commit this?

to ports/utils

mmv, the featurefull multiple mv/cp/ln/append tool with sophisticated
patternmatching. Wanna move all your *.blah.*.cc files to cc/blah/*/*.C ?
No problem, mmv will do it for you and even tell you about stuff it's
going to overwrite.

it's in ~me/src/mmv.

I'm a bit unsure about whether the distribution files can go on the CD
though. It *only* found it in the comp.sources archives, thus must have
been posted on usenet.

Nevertheless, the Author gives two different copyrights in two places:

--- in announce
   Mmv is freeware. That means that the entire package of software and
   documentation is copyrighted, and may not be distributed with any
   modifications or for any charge (without the author's explicit written
   permission). Other than that, it may be used and distributed freely.
---

>From this I'd say WC can't redistriute it. But then so my internet
provider wouldn't be allowed to let me download it via ftp if I got
charged volume rates. Theoretically I wouldn't even be allowed to
apply the distributed patch and put it up as a tarball.

Here's the second:

--- in mmv.c
   This program may be freely used and copied on a non-commercial basis.
--
That sounds better. Nevertheless still no CD I think.

I've tried to contact the Author and get permission but got no answer :-(

So I've implemented it in a way that the port fetches the shar archive
and patch, munches it together and compiles.

What do people think, will it have to go into LEGAL or am I overly
paranoid?

Michael

--
Michael Elbel, Digital-PCS GmbH, Muenchen, Germany - me@FreeBSD.org