Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 12:26:24 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        BSDJunk <BSDJunk@1729.net>
Cc:        Steve Wingate <steve@velosystems.net>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA  3D FreeBSD Drivers

* BSDJunk (BSDJunk@1729.net) [020303 11:59]:

Lets not lose sight of what is important, or what the true goals of the
project are. The project is not in the business of forcing hardware
manufacturers to release information they cannot or will not. The project is
not in the business of forcing developers or businesses to operate in one True
Way, and this includes having free access to source. While its agreed that
this is the preferred way we like to see programs, sometimes circumstances
warrant otherwise.

From the handbook:
--
1.3.2 FreeBSD Project Goals
Contributed by Jordan Hubbard.

The goals of the FreeBSD Project are to provide software that may be used for
any purpose and without strings attached. Many of us have a significant
investment in the code (and project) and would certainly not mind a little
financial compensation now and then, but we are definitely not prepared to
insist on it. We believe that our first and foremost ``mission'' is to provide
code to any and all comers, and for whatever purpose, so that the code gets
the widest possible use and provides the widest possible benefit. This is, I
believe, one of the most fundamental goals of Free Software and one that we
enthusiastically support.

Benjamin Krueger

"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I
was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx