Date:      Wed, 28 Jan 2009 12:28:01 -0800
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Andrew Snow <andrew@modulus.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Subject:   Re: problem with "cold" hardware? [Was: panic in callout_reset: bad link in callwheel]

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 06:22:26AM +1100, Andrew Snow wrote:
> Andriy Gapon wrote:
> >Previously I heard about problems with hardware running hot, but not
> >with it being "cold". I put the word in quotes, because the system is in
> >a room with normal room temperature.
> >
> >Any guesses what hardware part might be acting up like this?
>
> Power supply.  Give all the capacitors a visual check.  Or you may be
> drawing too much power from your rated supply.

Another thing could be bad soldering of the memory slot. It might not have a
full contact when at room temperature, but as it heats up by 10-20C inside
the case it might expand and give full contact. This could apply to
copper runs on the board, contact points from the board to the memory
slot, contact from the slot to the memory.

--
Regards, Ulf.

Ulf Zimmermann, 1525 Pacific Ave., Alameda, CA-94501, #: 510-865-0204
You can find my resume at: http://www.Alameda.net/~ulf/resume.html