Date:      Mon, 20 Jun 2005 19:50:31 +0200
From:      GiZmen <gizmen@zion.vsip.pl>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   instability with mount_nullfs and jails

hi,

I have problem with mount_nullfs and jails. My system FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE
when have two jails and each of this jails has couple mount_nullfs freeze
without kernel panic. It freezes out in random times. Sometimes it can run
for couple days sometimes it freezes after couple hours.

I have mount points like below:

root@procent:~# mount
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/ad0s1e on /tmp (ufs, local, nodev, nosuid, nosymfollow, soft-updates, multilabel, acls)
/dev/ad0s1f on /usr (ufs, local, nodev, soft-updates, multilabel, acls)
/dev/ad0s1d on /var (ufs, local, nodev, nosuid, soft-updates, multilabel, acls)
/usr/local/bandwidthd/htdocs on /usr/jails/httpd/www/traf (nullfs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, read-only)
/usr/local/share/pear on /usr/jails/httpd/lib/php/pear (nullfs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, read-only)
/usr/local/share/smarty on /usr/jails/httpd/lib/php/smarty (nullfs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, read-only)
/usr/local/lib/php/20020429 on /usr/jails/httpd/lib/php/20020429 (nullfs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, read-only)
/usr/local/libexec/apache on /usr/jails/httpd/libexec/apache (nullfs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, read-only)
/usr/local/etc/php on /usr/jails/httpd/etc/php (nullfs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, read-only)
/usr/local/bin on /usr/jails/httpd/bin (nullfs, local, nodev, nosuid, read-only)
devfs on /usr/jails/httpd/dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
/dev/ad0s1g.bde on /crypto (ufs, local, noatime, nodev, nosuid, synchronous, soft-updates, multilabel, acls)
/dev/ad2s1a.bde on /crypto2 (ufs, local, noatime, nodev, nosuid, synchronous, soft-updates, multilabel, acls)
/crypto/home on /usr/jails/users/home (nullfs, local, nodev)
/crypto/home on /usr/jails/httpd/home (nullfs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid)

from fstab.sshd:

/bin            /usr/jails/users/bin        nullfs  ro,nosuid,nodev        0       0
/sbin           /usr/jails/users/sbin       nullfs  ro,nodev         0       0
/usr/ports      /usr/jails/users/usr/ports  nullfs  rw,nosuid,nodev     0       0
/usr/include    /usr/jails/users/usr/include    nullfs  ro,nosuid,noexec,nodev      0       0
/usr/share      /usr/jails/users/usr/share  nullfs  ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec      0       0
/usr/lib        /usr/jails/users/usr/lib    nullfs  ro,nosuid,nodev      0       0
#/lib            /usr/jails/users/lib        nullfs  ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec      0       0
#/libexec        /usr/jails/users/libexec    nullfs  ro,nosuid,nodev         0       0
/usr/bin        /usr/jails/users/usr/bin    nullfs  ro,nodev        0       0
/usr/sbin       /usr/jails/users/usr/sbin   nullfs  ro,nodev        0       0
/usr/libexec    /usr/jails/users/usr/libexec        nullfs  ro,nodev        0       0

When i start sshd jail with mount_nulls like above i will have crash after random period of time.
Without this jail i have never had any freeze. home dir in users jail is mount_nulled from /crypto
partition.Earlier my users jails didnt have mount_nulls, i have had copy of each dir. I could have
uptime like 80 days. I dont know why it is so instabile?
Could any one point me somehow ? Maybe i do someting wrong or someting?

THX
--
Best Regards:
		GiZmen

UNIX is user-friendly; it's just picky about its friends
UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity