Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 03:45:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      "jamgill@uu.net" <jamgill@UU.NET>
To:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
Cc:        Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: man pages to hmtl

Hey thanks!  I wouldn't have thought of that, probably until it was too
late. :-)

I had thought of mounting the /usr/share/ directory via NFS.  Would that
be:
	* sillier
	* more resource intensive
	* less secure

than putting up one webserver and putting lynx on every *nix box in your
farm?

--gill

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Benjamin Krueger wrote:

> * jamgill@uu.net (jamgill@UU.NET) [020314 18:40]:

> > I still don't understand why it is a mor attractive option to you to use a
> > text-based browser and convert the manpages to HTML instead of using the
> > plain old man(1) command and reading them in that format.  Satisfy my
> > curiosity, tell me why ;-)
>
> You have a server farm with 500 servers. Does every single server really need
> a complete set of the manpages? (At ~30meg per server, thats 15 gig wasted
> across your farm.)
>
> You have many unix servers, but most of your staff manages things with windows
> workstations.
>
> You want to manage all documentation relevant to your servers in single
> document repository available through a web browser.

--gill  | Tatu Ylonen, SSH 1.2.12 README:  "Beware that the most effective