Date:      Tue, 6 May 2003 11:02:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Re: `Hiding' libc symbols

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

> > > Do you also want to `fix' the other ports that define their own strlcpy?
> >
> > Ports have maintainers.  Please create a PR for them.
>
> But gee, the problem is that the ports themselves are not really
> in error, unless one is a standards fascist that believes that an
> application can never define any function that might be in some
> standard's namespace.

If you could do your census again but this time showing which symbols
clash we would have a better idea of what we are talking about..

Probably most of these packages have these function 'in case' the system
does not. You can also bet that if compiled on Linux they don't include
these functions if Linux has them, so I'm willing to bet that many of
them have ways to turn off much of the excess stuff.