Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 23:33:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bzdik BSD <bzdik@yahoo.com>
To:        kstewart@urx.com, Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Triple booting -- HELP

--- Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com> wrote:

> I had a similar problem. I wanted to add Linux but if FreeBSD
> couldn't be
> the 2nd partiton and still boot Linux, then, Linux was going to be
> removed.
> I still don't have a Linux system. I had to have the FreeBSD /
> partition
> located in front of 8.4 GB since I was installing 4.0. I have two
> systems
> with the large freebsd slice located after the dos extended partition
> and
> two more that have the freebsd slice in front of the extended
> partition. I
> have a version of Windows 2000 booting from the extended partition in
> 2 of
> the 4. I only have 3 partitions on these drives. They are typically
> 30GB
> drives.
>
> I use NTLDR to boot FreeBSD. I use /boot/boot1 to actually do the
> boot. To
> do this, you have to copy boot1 onto your C-drive as bootsect.bsd and
> add
> that to the NT boot.ini. NTLDR has no problem booting FreeBSD
> regardless of
> the relative position on the HD. I have a convention that no OS goes
> on my
> C-drive. It is strictly for booting and data transfer.
>
> It has been very painless to setup and use.
>
> Kent
>
> --
> Kent Stewart
> Richland, WA

I have :

  1st hdd:

        1st part: primary WunderBomb Pro
         2nd part:primary Same Adv Server
          3rd :   primary FreeBSD
           4th: extended with 3 logical inside with Progeny Debian

   2nd hdd: two primaries for Solaris 8 IA: one 10 MB boot x86 and the
second - UFS sliced internally. Everything is booted by Progenian GRUB.
The only caveat: Solaris UFS is hex-type 82 which is the same as Linux
swap, so installed Solaris the last. Edit the /boot/grub/menu.ls file
to boot the rest