Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 17:47:58 +0100
From:      Roberto Nunnari <roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch>
To:        Ruben de Groot <mail25@bzerk.org>
Cc:        monchis <monchis@sbcglobal.net>
Subject:   Re: talk command help

Ruben de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 10:07:43PM -0800, monchis typed:
>
>>I Am new to unix so I am learning how to use it, but i want to know how to talk to someone. I already used the man pages but i just don't get it. can you show me an example of how to talk to someone hat is logged in. thanks
>

> You'll have to enable the talk daemon in /etc/inetd.conf like so:
>
> $ grep ntalk /etc/inetd.conf
> # ntalk is required for the 'talk' utility to work correctly
> ntalk dgram udp wait tty:tty /usr/libexec/ntalkd ntalkd
> $

Then, # /etc/rc.d/inetd restart

and you're ready to use the talk utility.

enable inetd in /etc/rc.conf with the line:
inetd_enable="YES"
so that upon every reboot inetd will be run.

Best regards.

> Ruben

               Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                mailto:roberto.nunnari@supsi.ch
  Scuola Universitaria Professionale della Svizzera Italiana
              Dipartimento Tecnologie Innovative
                   http://www.dti.supsi.ch
  SUPSI-DTI
  Via Cantonale                        tel: +41-91-6108561
  6928 Manno                 """       fax: +41-91-6108570
  Switzerland               (o o)