Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:07:45 GMT
From:      Tim Preece <tim@cpio.nildram.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Modem AT Commands

Hi,

Can anyone please inform me as to how I may send specific commands to a modem. ?

I have a script that switches my ppp dial up number depending on weather I am calling in the day time, or at night and weekends. However I would like to refine this further so that I can turn my modem speaker off during the night, and back on during the day.

My modem uses M0 to turn off the speaker, so I have tried adding ATM0 into my chat script in various ways, i.e.

set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 OK \\ ATM0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

or

set dial "ABORT BUSY ABORT NO\\sCARRIER TIMEOUT 5 \"\" AT OK-AT-OK ATE1Q0 ATM0 OK \\dATDT\\T TIMEOUT 40 CONNECT"

but all this does is cause the script to hang, although at some point, I did get the speaker to turn off.

If it cant be done through the chat script, is there some software that would allow me to communicate to the modem directly ( this would be nice to do anyhow ) ?

Thanks in advance.

--
-
Tim Preece.