Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 1998 11:38:43 -0500
From:      Norman C Rice <nrice@emu.sourcee.com>
To:        Shoma & Ash Yadav <shomash@mbox4.singnet.com.sg>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: changing screen res in X

On Thu, Jan 01, 1998 at 06:29:43PM +0800, Shoma & Ash Yadav wrote:
> Norman / Alex,
> I have tried using the S3 server but that bombs out with the following
> errors ...
>
> S3V: PCI: unknown ( please report), ID 0x88c1 rev 0, Linear FB@0x40000000
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
It appears that you used the accelerated driver (the one that xf86config
suggested?). I don't know which version of XFree86 you're running (X -showconfig),
but Version 3.3.1 from August 11, 1997 has the following highlight:

 "Various problems with the S3V server and the SVGA s3v driver have been fixed."

If you are running the current XFree86 release, you should report the above
message and background data to the XFree86 Project at www.xfree86.org. There
is a link on their web site, "Report a bug or ask about a problem", that you
can use for this purpose. You should search/read their FAQ prior to your
submission (etiquette).

--
Regards,
Norman C. Rice, Jr.