Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 04:44:35 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, <randy@verbose.org>
Subject:   Re: softupdates crash -> data recovery ?

> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 05:10:12PM -0700, Randy Primeaux wrote:
> > How might I go about recovering data from a disk after softupdates
> > crashed?
> >

> > Shortly after enabling softupdates on /usr, I had a system freeze
> > (back in January), and upon boot the next day, found:
> >
> > /dev/ad4s1f: CANNOT READ: BLK 16
> > /dev/ad4s1f: NOT LABELED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unused)
> >

> > /dev/ad4s1f is /usr including /usr/home
> > Disk is an IBM DTLA 307030.

Either your disk failed so badly that the superblock can't be read, or
something fried the superblock really thoroughly. Try using the
alternate superblock - fdsck -b 32 /dev/ad4s1f - and see if you can
recover from it. If that works, you'll get a new superblock, and can
mount and use the system. If the alternate superblock at 32 is fried,
you'll need to use another one. The list of them was printed when you
newfs'ed the file system. If you didn't save the list, finding further
alternates could be interesting.

If the hardware is the problem, writing out the new superblock will
fail. You'll need to copy the partition with dd using "conv=noerror",
then fsck the copy. If you get to many errors during the copy, it's
time to restore from the backups. In either case, it's time to trash
the disk.

David Leimbach <dleimbac@earthlink.net> types:
> Hmmm... this would seem to suggest contrary information as to the value
> of a soft-updates file system...

No, this shows that sufficient hardware failures will kill any file
system. A journaling file system wouldn't have helped here; it really
needs a mirror.

	<mike