Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 02:15:57 GMT
From:      steven@shellnet.co.uk (Steven Fletcher)
To:        danielj@wizard.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipltd, anyone?

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:58:00 -800, you wrote:

>I am looking for any real-world experiences with the ipltd daemon
>by Cyril A. Vechera.

I can simply say I've used it and been impressed with the results. We
have had a few servers running bandwidth limited to 512Kbits - And
guess what  - A lovely straight 512K line on the graph on our MRTG :).

> This daemon theoretically functions like the
>Packeteer box, in that it will allow traffic to be limited over ethernet.

It's not just limitation over ethernet, you can limit via IP
source/destination address, port, protocol, network card, etc etc...
as much configuration as IPFW allows you to give.

>Does it function well? At all?

There are other systems; DUMMYNET in particular, that from what I can
make out is an integral part of the kernel - the fact that using
dummynet you don't rely on a process to stay alive - However i've held
back as applying "third-party" patches to ipfw doesn't appeal to me,
especially since they didn't apply correctly when I tried :)

For us, a combination of NATD, IPLTD and IPFW have worked perfectly
without crash for over a month now since we started using it on an
Intel p166 CPU, limiting 3 servers to 512k, providing an IP proxy to
our offices, and also providing port translation, address translation
*and* b/w limitation for our Quake servers - sometimes running at
700Kb/s for many hours on end.

Is there any particular point you needed advice on or just wondering
whether it worked at all ? :)

>Thank you for any input.

I Hope this helps

>Daniel Jacobs