Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 1996 22:58:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        Troy Arie Cobb <troy@circle.net>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Troy Arie Cobb wrote:

> Just a quick question...
> anyone done/is working on a Samba FS?
> I'd love to be able to mount as local
> a drive on my NT machine (NFS is, of course,
> an option but who wants to pay for the
> NFS server for NT?  blech).

Huh? If you want to 'mount' a samba share ON the NT box, that's exectly
what samba does - it's a LanMan server and you can connect a samba share
from UNIX as a local drive on NT.

What I want is the opposite - I want to be able to "mount" (as a
filesystem) a LanMan share from another machine, NT for example. I'd love
to be able to mount -t smd nt_machine:/bigdisk/share /mnt !!! I think it
would be
great to have an NFS client-like samba program, instead of smbclient
(ftp-like). I guess I mean compliment smbclient actually...

Overall, the samba suite is superb! Unfortunately, I don't have the
skills or the time to write an NFS-like client for samba.. but it would
be super handy!!

-Mark

 :%t$sig   -- Oops, thought I was in vi..
| Mark Mayo		mark@quickweb.com |
| C-Soft  	        www.quickweb.com  |