Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:54:09 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        insane@softhome.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD + EZ-BIOS/EZ-Drive

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 03:21:02AM +0000, insane@softhome.net wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4.2 on a computer with EZ-BIOS and EZ-Drive.
> The drive is 8.4 GB but FreeBSD recognizes it as 8056 GB no matter what I
> do.
>
> How do I get FreeBSD to install on that drive?

Where are you getting the 8.4 GB? From the drive literature? You can
look at this in one of two ways,

  (1) Drive manufacturers lie.

  (2) Drive manufactures use a different standard than everyone else
      on the planet.

When the drive manufacturer says the disk has 8.4 GB, they mean that
the drive has

   8.4x10^6 Kbytes

On it. When FreeBSD and everyone else say a drive has 8.056 GB, they
are saying that a drive has,

   8.056x2^20 Kbytes
 = 8.056x(2^10)^2 Kbytes
 = 8.056x(1024)^2 Kbytes
 = 8.447x10^6 Kbytes

You are not losing any bytes. FreeBSD is seeing the whole thing fine.