Date:      Tue, 7 Oct 1997 07:13:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jbryant@tfs.net
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building parallel "Beowulf-style" supercomputers with FreeBSD

> > 	Legions of Sprights, the which, like litle flyes
>
> Sprite/Sprights/etc...  indicates something small...  this is big...

Well, sure, but what if you get a legion of them together... 8-).

Also, there are already "Demonic" references, like FAUST/FAUSTUS,
etc., and they fall into similar research areas.

> I was being serious about HyperPool...  Serious literature will love
> the name, and it sounds KEWL to the neophyte.  The name matches the
> concept, and would also get serious literature talking about it.
>
> It is also in true Berkeley tradition.

But what do you do for an encore to "Hyper"?  "W" had "X"...

There is already a UCB OS project called "Sprite", FYI.

> Leave the pet names for Linux, but BSD should demand RESPECT!

I have visions of "Who HyperPeed in the HyperPool?".  But then what
do you expect from someone who memorizes dead English poets.  I guess
"Xanadu" is already taken by something which has never become reality,
so Samuel Taylor Coleridge would be a bad choice, too ("Albatros" is
also taken).

Maybe mythology?  "Cerebus" or "Hecate"; but then you'd have to max
out at three nodes.  8-).  How about "Fury", after the "Furies"?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.