Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 18:23:24 +0100 (BST)
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@caladan.tdx.co.uk>
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMTP Relay probing - Should I follow up - advice?

> > Annoyed...
>
> I'm sure.  As a potential victim of their spam let me say thank
> you to you for not acting as a relay for them.

It was one of the _first_ things I setup... ;-)

In answer to all who wanted to know, the company claim to be 'The Electric
Mail Company', aka 'electric.net'.

The IP they scanned from was 199.175.137.131. They own (i.e. have
registered from ARIN the entire class 'c' of 199.175.137. There connected
via MCI net, and - ending in a hole bunch of routers without any reverse
DNS entries (how quaint)...

The 'relay' at their end appears to be 199.175.137.131 - though I'd bet it
probably changes on a daily basis...

Someone's suggested I write to MCI, and kindly provided links to their
policy... I will be writing, on the premise doing something is better than
nothing...

Thanks to everyone who offered help & suggestions - I don't want this
thread to go on too long (as I'm sure theres better places to discuss
this),

Regards,

Karl Pielorz