Date:      Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:23:10 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <cjsabatier@home.com>
Cc:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@culverk.student.umd.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd

Conrad Sabatier writes:

> On 04-Feb-01 Kenneth Culver wrote:
> >
> > culverk:~:# burncd -f /dev/acd1c -s 6 data ./cd.iso fixate
>                                    ^^^^
>
> I believe the only speed settings that burncd supports are 1, 2 and 4.
>
> > burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCOPENTRACK): Input/output error

/usr/src/usr.sbin/burncd/burncd.c:

        while ((ch = getopt(argc, argv, "ef:pqs:t")) != -1) {
                switch (ch) {
[...]
                case 's':
                        speed = atoi(optarg);
                        break;
[...]
        if (ioctl(fd, CDRIOCWRITESPEED, &speed) < 0)
                err(EX_IOERR, "ioctl(CDRIOCWRITESPEED)");

I have used burncd with "-s 8" and "-s 12" where it really did run at
those speeds. Looking at the sources above it is clear there is no
range limit but if the driver didn't like the speed a different error
would come up when the speed was set.

Interesting as this is on a CDROM, not CD-R[W]. Error below is correct.
But apparently the speed was successfully set.

burncd -f /dev/acd0c -s 12 msinfo
burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCNEXTWRITEABLEADDR): Input/output error

Had a Philips 804 8/4/32 CD-RW for two awful weeks (in short it wrote OK
but had problems reading what it wrote while other drives did not have
any problems reading the same). Would not burn in 1x mode, the slowest
it could do was 2x as measured with wall clock and observing the device
thruput with "systat -v". When told to do 1x, it did 2x. So possibly if
one were to attempt a burn at 24x with a 12x drive it would silently do
whatever it has to? Don't have one under my fingertips to try at them
moment.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net