Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:26:46 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        "jamgill@uu.net" <jamgill@UU.NET>
Cc:        Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>, Joe & Fhe Barbish <barbish@a1poweruser.com>, FBSDQ <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: man pages to hmtl

* jamgill@uu.net (jamgill@UU.NET) [020315 00:44]:

> Hey thanks!  I wouldn't have thought of that, probably until it was too
> late. :-)
>
> I had thought of mounting the /usr/share/ directory via NFS.  Would that
> be:
> 	* sillier
> 	* more resource intensive
> 	* less secure
>
> than putting up one webserver and putting lynx on every *nix box in your
> farm?

I would go so far as to say that both options are not recommended; this is
the result of my own philosophy on proper administration of servers though.

Putting up an NFS share for related documentation is probably a poor choice
for a number of reasons:

- NFS incurs a good deal of complex management issues and their associated
baggage for relatively little gain. In a server environment, you want to
minimize exposure to configuration mishaps.

- NFS is an application which could cause you great pain in troubleshooting.
Ask yourself, "Do I want to spend 4 hours debugging why NFS is clogging the
network just so I can read manpages on each individual server?"

- NFS is not known for being a champion of secure network software.

Installing Lynx wherever you need documentation is not a terribly good idea
for the same reasons above.

In more cases than not, folks administer servers from a workstation which
has at least local www access, thus giving them perfect access to
documentation while working on a server.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"Life is far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about."
- Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900)