Date:      Sun, 31 Mar 2002 11:32:32 -0800
From:      Geoffrey Mainland <mainland@apeiron.net>
To:        Alan Eldridge <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports List <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: print/latex & print/tex dependencies considered harmful.

On Sun, Mar 31, 2002 at 02:20:38PM -0500, Alan Eldridge wrote:
> We've had several instances in the past couple of months of people
> accidentally (and without any warning) really screwing up their teTeX
> installations by installing once of the few ports that sucks in
> print/texinfo or print/latex, which depend on the equally obsolete port
> print/tex. It usually takes several days of email tag, chasing package
> denpendencies, to get their systems cleaned up so that they can use TeX
> for anything again.
>
> Every person I've helped with these issues has strongly requested that
> the print/latex and print/tex ports check for teTeX and abort
> installation if it is found. I'm finally going to get around to PR'ing
> that in the next couple of days, as "I installed <some-port>, and now
> TeX doesn't work at all." is becoming a FAQ. As print/texinfo
> maintainer, I've PR'd its deletion. Ideally, print/{la,}tex should
> follow it into the darkness.
>
> Hope this clarifies the issues involved. Sorry that I wasn't crystal
> clear on it in the first place.
>
> --
> AlanE
> "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST

The latex port first looks for the tex executable, and if it doesn't
exist it installs the tex port rather than the teTeX port. However, if
teTeX is already installed it *does not* install the tex port on top
of teTeX. You can see this if you look at the latex port's Makefile. I
also happened to have a machine with teTeX but not latex installed,
and when I just installed latex on it I assure you the tex port was
not also installed.

I can see why the latex dependency on the tex port would be a problem
for someone who installs latex before installing teTeX, but you also
seem to indicate that it is a problem for someone who installs teTeX
first. How is this the case?

--
Geoff