Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 2013 14:35:31 -0700
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Randall Stewart <rrs@lakerest.net>, "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: MQ Patch.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 29.10.2013 21:20, Randall Stewart wrote:
>
>> So, to conclude: i fully support any plan to design something that lets us
>>> implement scheduling (and qos, if you want to call it this way)
>>> in a reasonable way, but what is in your patch now does not really
>>> seem to improve the current situation in any way.
>>>

>> Its a step towards fixing that I am allowed to give. I can see
>> why Company's get frustrated with trying to give anything to the project.
>>

> Well, that we have a problem in that area is known and acknowledged and
> there is active work in this area going on.
>
> It would be very problematic if every vendor were just to through some
> stuff over the fence and have it integrated as is.  It would quickly
> become very messy.  In many specific purpose geared products a number
> of shortcuts can be taken that may not be appropriate for a general
> purpose OS that does more than routing.

that is exactly the issue.
It is not just FreeBSD that has strict policies on what gets accepted.

Several times (though mostly in the past) I myself have
been suggested to reconsider submissions that were too intrusive
or lacking from an architectural point of view. And as much i
could have been annoyed, i have to recognise that the criticism
was legitimate and eventually led to better implementations.

Of course one has much more freedom when playing with a standalone component
(say netmap, or a device driver, or SCTP...)
which does not interfere with the rest of the kernel,
and possibly even fills a hole in the OS.
But this is not one of those cases.

cheers
luigi