Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 19:31:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.org>
To:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.7 on Dell Latitude - interesitng problems

Hi all,

I'm running FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE on my Dell Latitude C600.  I've run into a
couple of interesting problems that I'm wondering if anyone else has had
experience with, and may be able to help me:

1) I compiled a custom kernel, and like clockwork, every OTHER time I boot
the machine, it hangs after detecting the parallel port.  It hangs up
between:

ppi0: <Parallel I/O> on ppbus0

and

ata1-slave: ATA identify retries exceeded
ad0: 19077MB <HITACHI_DK23DA-20> [38760/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

The rest coming from a good boot, obviously.

(The above is interesting, too -- I did not compile support for ata1 into
my kernel, only ata0.)

Kernel config file available upon request.  As far as I've been able to
tell, this did not happen with the Generic kernel.

2) Along with my C600, I have a C/Port II port replicator.  When the
laptop is docked, when I fire up X, it turns on the laptop's LCD display
(even thought he lid is closed) and turns off my external monitor.  When I
shut down X (which I have to do using Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, because I can't
see the screen), the display returns to the external monitor.

Any ideas on either of the above?

Thanks in advance!