Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:15:18 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Marko =?utf-8?Q?Cupa=C4=87?= <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ping from web application

Marko Cupa=C4=87 <marko.cupac@mimar.rs> writes:

> I use web applicaton (net-mgmt/phpipam) which should have the ability
> to check hosts' availability via ping. I can even specify path to ping
> executable.
>
> This functionality does not work on FreeBSD by default, and suggested
> workaround is to set setuid bit on /sbin/ping.
>
> I don't like to modify permissions of base files. Is there an
> alternative solution? e.g. a port?

In what way does ping(8) not work? A look at its error output should
tell you what the problem is.

Additionally, the standard permissions on /sbin/ping *are* suid root.
It certainly won't work if you've changed that, so just change it back.

And yes, there are other ping programs present, including some with
pretty graphical web page UIs. But there's no reason that PHP should
have trouble calling /sbin/ping.