Date:      Thu, 17 May 2001 21:56:29 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, "Don Wilde" <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
Cc:        "Anders Nordby" <anders@fix.no>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, <core@daemonnews.org>
Subject:   RE: [dn-core] Re: Perens' "Free Software Leaders Stand Together"

As well he should be.  Remember, Bruce is the person who
explicitly recommended _against_ developers using the BSD
license, when he originally copyrighted the term
"Open Source".  It wasn't until the Regents of the University
of California explictly stated that the UCB copyright didn't
need to be displayed that Bruce couldn't find any more excuses
to recommend against the BSD license, and changed the
recommendations to be more neutral.

The real issues go a lot deeper and if you go back several years
in history you can see what is going on.  Simply put, the
so-called "leaders of the GPL" movement are engaged in a war
of words and in media manipulation in an attempt to equate
"Free Software" and "Open Source" directly with the GPL.

They do NOT like the BSD license, and particularly don't like
FreeBSD, (both because FreeBSD is the flagship of the BSD
license, and because FreeBSD uses the term "Free" in it's name
thus causing problems for their little doublespeak game
of attempting to equate GPL and Open Source)

Basically, what has happened is that Bruce and his friends
(the signatories on the list of that article are a who's
who of them) have literally made millions of dollars out of
in effect convincing a bunch of developers to GPL their
code, then those Open Source people have set themselves up
in the only point in the GPL code distributon scheme (the
nexus points) where it's possible to make a lot of money.

VA Linux, Red Hat, and all of those distributors, all of their
business models are the same - at one end they suck in GPL
code and at the other end spit out finished UNIX-like distributions,
and make money doing it.  Notice that I said they suck in GPL
code - they don't really have interest in pointing their suckers
at BSD code.

For their business models to continue to work, they must continue
to convince an ever-larger number of Open Source developers to
write GPL code.

In the BSD arena, the money-making is a lot different.  The people
in BSD making millions are doing it by including BSD code in
finished products.  In our world, the things that matter are finished
products like Whistler Interjet, and the embedded stuff that Wind
River is doing, because those projects untimately spew code back into
the BSD distribution.  In BSD-land, you don't have people
making millions of dollars primariarly off of repackaging the
BSD distribution.

The GPL people see folks like Microsoft rightly as their antithesis -
but the fact that Microsoft themselves uses a fair bit of BSD code
_themselves_ in their own products isn't lost on the Linux people.
Now, the GPL camp sees Apple using BSD code as a base, and they
have forseen the future and are scared of what is coming.

What _is_ coming is eventually things will reach a head where most
of the commercial software developers will realize that to continue to be
successful, that they MUST make allowance for Open Source.  Either by
interfacing with it, or using parts of it, or producing modules that
enhance it.  Simply put the body of good Open Source is getting so large and
representing such a major human knowledge database in software, that
if you as a commercial software developer set yourself out to compete
directly with Open Source, your competition will be so far ahead that
you will never catch up.

So, if your a commercial software house in this situation, you end up with
a choice: either you can choose to go the GPL route, or you can choose to
go the BSD route.

If you go the BSD route then your on your own.  The great thing about this
is
that nobody will tell you what to do, so you really do have complete freedom
to do what you want.  Of course the downside is that the BSD community isn't
going to patiently hold your hand while you negotiate the rocks in the
stream.

If, however, you go the GPL route, then there will be a crew of people, like
Bruce, Raymond, and Tim O'Reilly and Linus and all the rest of them that are
going to be guiding you down the path that they want you to go, and of
course making money off of doing this.  The "great"
thing about this, I suppose, is that they will always be there to hold you
hand
while you negotiate the rocks in the stream.  Of course the downside is that
you really have no control once you start mixing GPL into your stuff, then
the GPL community ends up dictating to you what your going to be doing.
But,
the GPL people all figure that commercial software houses that go the
Microsoft
route give up the same control and don't seem to have a problem doing it, so
why shouldn't they give up the same control to GPL that they are giving up
Microsoft?

So, you can see why GPL is very uneasy with BSD.  They see the GPL as in
direct
opposition to commercial software license.  They see the BSD license as not
being in direct opposition to commercial software, and in fact they see that
there is a symbiosis between BSD and commercial software, even between BSD
and
Microsoft, if you can believe it.  Take the Hotmail situation for example -
where do you think that Microsoft got all THE IDEAS to stuff into Windows 2K
to enable it to REPLACE FreeBSD?  Certainly NOT by studying Linux, I can
tell you
that.  Instead, Microsoft spent years studying the BSD way of doing things,
looked at the new web technologies like PHP and so on that were coming down
the pike, and emulated those in Win2K.

So, it's kind of a "friend of my enemy is my enemy"  What I see in the
future, is
I see Microsoft porting MS Office to MacOS X - which is a hell of a lot
closer
to BSD then it is to Linux.  I also see that as Microsoft continues to build
the
case against GPL and propgandize against it, that they are increasingly
going to
be holding up BSD as the "right" way to do Open Source.  No wonder that the
Linux
GPL people are drawing the line in the sand now between BSD and GPL.  They
see the
future and they know that ultimately, the GPL is just as "un-free" as a
closed
source license like Microsoft's.  Increasingly, their aims and goals are
going to be
different than ours.