Date:      Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:11:50 +0100
From:      Koos de Haan <sdehaan@caiw.nl>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: good network card (xl0 packet dropping)

Hi,

I personally have a bad experience with the de driver in general. When using it with ZNYX 4 port cards which have 4 21140A chips it has all kinds of problems, which Vinod described in an earlier message (I attached hereby).
The probem occours also on NetBSD (but the same driver code is mosly the same)
I had the same problem with a no name 21140A card.

The driver from ZNYX does it better, but it is only available as an object. not source code. This driver has problems with tcpdump but does not suffer from  the de problems.
I mailed znyx support the problems but i didn't receive a response from them.

I use the 3C905 cards without problems for some time now. I switched to these cards because the ZNYX cards had problems (Yes it does cost me some slots in my machine)
The 3COM cards we buy are in original package, not OEM. There may be a difference in that. The are connected to a 3COM SS3300 switch.

Regards,

Koos de Haan

I am working on a 6 pc test bed (FreeBSD boxes) having the
4 port 100Mbps 21140A Znyx cards.

I am running FreeBSD 3.1-Release. I have also tested it on FreeBSD
3.0-Stable.

I am facing a few problems with the device driver de.

1. netstat -I <interface> gives  lots of output errors.
Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs
Coll
de3   1500  10.0.8/24     10.0.8.5          434417     0   290242 289158
0

If I use the device driver provided at the ZNYX website (znyx.com) zxe
then I do not see any Oerrs.

2. ifconfig de3 mediaopt full-duplex , returns an error:
ifconfig:SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured

3. The throughput of a TCP flow from one FreeBSD box to another (each
having a ZNYX card) varies with the packet size.
For instance for a packet size of 150bytes I achieve 90Mbps.
For packetsize of 500bytes it is only 60-70Mbps.

4. If I run a tcp flow from one FreeBSD box to another via an intermediate
FreeBSD box (all having the ZNYX344 card and de device driver) I get a
throughput of 40Mbps only for 500 byte packets.

All of these above problems are not visible when I use the zxe
device driver.

thank you for your time,

-
--

Kabelfoon BV
Industriestraat 30, Postbus 45, 2670 AA  NAALDWIJK