Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 17:07:42 -0400
From:      Tommy Johnson <tjohnson@csgrad.cs.vt.edu>
To:        dennis@etinc.com, huck@mispwoso.nosc.mil
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, matt@lkg.dec.com
Subject:   Re:  de driver bug?

>>  that it is having connection problems.  Unless you have a flakey network
>>  it could be a flakey card.
>
>Ok...this is the scoop.
>
>I have a '486 PCI MB (ACER) with a genuine SMC ethernet card. The
>identical hardware (tested by swapping out hard disks)....

My scoop:
PCI SMC Etherpower 10baseT/10base2 ethernet card, on a dual 586-100 (labeled
"pentium" though).

>1) Works in FreeBSD 2.1.0R
>2) Works in Linux 2.0.0
>3) Doesnt work in FreeBSD 2.1.5R. The installation boot procedure (NFS)
>fails,and a system built on another machine finds but cannot use the de card.

Exact same thing: worked with FreeBSD 2.1 Release, FreeBSD 2.2-current (end
of July) broke it.

My Fix:
I use 10base2, and it never said "de0: enabling Thinwire/BNC port" after
I installed FreeBSD-current.  So I figured the media probe failed, and added

/* Added by TOJ, to attempt to force 10base2   */
sc->tulip_media=TULIP_MEDIA_BNC;
/* End TOJ */

at line 1842 of /usr/src/sys/pci/if_de.c

Its worked ever since.

>I think that the problem is that I dont get any interrupts. I got an "abnormal"
>interrupt a few times...but now I am not.
>
>Whats changed in 2.1.5? is it the de driver, or the PCI stuff?

-Tom      "Well, laugh."  -Jared
tjohnson@csgrad.cs.vt.edu  "My other computer ALSO runs unix." -me   <*>
http://csgrad.cs.vt.edu/~tjohnson/
Message and signature (c) 1996 Tommy O. Johnson, all rights reserved