Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:11:45 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Alwyn Goodloe <agoodloe@gradient.cis.upenn.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network testbed setup question

On Sat, Dec 16, 2000 at 09:45:23PM -0500, Alwyn Goodloe wrote:
> Hey Guys & Gals,
>
>   I have am trying to set up a simple testbed with three computers. I am
> using the standard 192.168  address for a private network.  For my experiment
> I need two networks which in my case is 192.168.1 and 192.158.5.
> The other two machines are the single machines on the respective networks.
> This may sound strange but it has to be that way for my test.
> One machine acts as a router between the two networks. I have two nic
> cards in the router and  just string normal 10base T cable between  it
> and the clients (i couldn't see the need for something more complicated
> but please feel free to correct me).

Someone else mentioned crossover cables. Make sure you have link on
all interfaces.

>    On the router I run routed.

You don't need routed(8). Turn it off.

> The two interfaces ep0 and ep1 seem to be
> configured OK when  I run ifconfig -a I get
>

> flags - 8a43 <UP,Broadcast,Running, AllMulti,Simplix, Multicast, mtu 1500
>              inet 192.168.1.5 netmask ...... broadcast 192.168.1.255 .....
>
> similarly for the other one,
>
>   When I first sit things up and tried to ping a client from the router I
> got    Host is Down. So I added the route in the routing table since I
> figured that it didn't know what interface to go out on. (Though the non
> router boxes have the same error.)

You should not have to modify the routing table. Using ifconfig(8)
should have set up the only routes you need for this. What does,

  $ netstat -rn

Say?

> After adding the route the error message
> was:
>
>   Time to Live exceeded.

You've got a routing loop.