Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 18:24:45 -0800
From:      "Camille Zavala" <litperl@hotmail.com>
To:        tg@melaten.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: teTeX port (Re: bug in noweb 2.9a port under 4.5-stable)

a local texmf tree would be a Right Decision.

my perspective is from the end user's viewpoint.  if a normal user installs
teTeX and then noweb, he/she would expect the noweb macros to be installed
into the existing TeX system.  i solved my problem with a symlink in the
latex directory.

couldn't the installation script do a -d test at post-install time, then
copy or link the files into the right directory?  i'm thinking of something
like:

    if [ -d $tetex_directory ]
    then ln -s $noweb_tex_macros $tetex_directory/noweb
    elif [ -d $plain_tex_directory ]
    then ln -s $noweb_tex_macros $plain_tex_directory/noweb
    fi

freebsd seems to offer two ports of tex:  teTeX and tex-3.14159.  but the
tex port doesn't offer LaTeX, so noweb users wouldn't have that.  if you're
getting noweb as a port, teTeX is the only game in town.

/cdz

p.s.  i never saw texconfig until i reinstalled teTeX yesterday (or whenever
it was) -- and i've used freebsd since 3.1 days.  i guess i just never paid
attention.  i'm probably a typical user, just installing stuff but not
reading anything except the last line.