Date:      Tue, 02 Nov 1999 21:09:29 +0100
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 5.1A Howto

Mark Conway Wirt wrote:

>    Libraries
>    ---------
>
>    Make sure you have a current version of the Linux_lib port
>    installed.  On my system, I'm running 2.6, and it seems to work
>    well.  The package is in /usr/ports/emulators in case you haven't
>    installed it.

linux_lib has been replaced by linux_base-5.2 for a while now.

>    File System
>    -----------
>
>    If you keep a small root partition, you may want to temporarily
>    reassign /tmp to another partition.  For example:

You can set the TMPDIR env. variable to handle this:

csh:	setenv TMPDIR /usr/tmp
sh:	TMPDIR=/usr/tmp; export TMPDIR

>    Unfortunately, there are libraries that the setup process needs
>    that you'll need to install by hand.  Move the setup.zip file into
>    a temporary directory and unzip it.  Note that the libraries will
>    need to be in lower case, so check the man page of your unzip to
>    see if you can force that.  My copy of unzip will do that with the
>    "-L" option:

I always installed SO without all this hassle. Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH
always was enough:

csh:	setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH	.
sh:	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

>    Modifications to the soffice Script
>    -----------------------------------
>
>    First, change the line that defines "$test" from
>
>        *)      test=/usr/bin/test ;;

>        *)      test=/bin/test ;;

This is not needed for linux_base-5.2

>    change the line that performs the test from:
>
>        if $test -L "$0" ; then

>        if $test -f "$0" ; then

Probably also not needed, because the test that's being used understands
-L

>    Lastly, change the line that read
>
>        sd_script=`ls -l $0 | sed "s/.*${sd_basename} -> //g"`
>
>    to read instead
>
>        sd_script=`ls $0 | sed "s/.*${sd_basename} -> //g"`

New too me...

>    Modifications to applicat.rdb

This is indeed necessary for SO5.1a, so I've been told :-)

All in all a pleasant HOWTO, but a bit outdated and needlessly complex
:-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar                        mailto:marcel@scc.nl
SCC Internetworking & Databases           http://www.scc.nl/