Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 21:20:43 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD current)
Subject:   Re: Native & Linux ELF support finally there...

: After a hectic week, Peter Wemm and I are proud to announce that
: FreeBSD-current now has ELF support. This means that we are now
: able to run native FreeBSD ELF binaries (generated with John
: Polstras Elfkit-1.0.1) and Linux ELF binaries, and yes Linux
: QUAKE finally works, at least as far as Peter & I has tried it
: (Hey I dont have time to play)

A while back someone asked me if they could do the following sick
thing:

Compile FreeBSD kernel, put it on a linux box, run lilo pointed at
this kernel, and reboot and have their "Linux" box suddenly be a
"FreeBSD" box running all their Linux stuff.

Is that now possible?  Or are there too many kernel things that would
preclude this (eg no ps, netstat, etc)?

Why do this?  Well the machine in question was a network hub that was
too overloaded with Linux and he wanted to run FreeBSD on it.  Yet he
couldn't bring it down long enough to install all of FreeBSD....

Warner

P.S.  This is my sick and twisted way of saying "Cool!"