Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 06:51:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gallagher <mgllghr@bu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   <OT> I Think I have a dead Athlon

Hey All,

	I know there are a lot of hardware guru's out there, so I hope no
one minds me asking this question.  I have an Athlon 600 Slot A CPU (yes
an oldie by now :-) and a FIC SD-11 motherboard.  The problem is when I
turn the machine on it does nothing. I mean nothing.  No beeps, no
movement. Dead.  The fans come on and that's about it.  I know this isn't
much to work with, but anyone have any idea what this could be?  It's not
the memory/drives, or anything else, because I've tested everything in
another machine, except the board and CPU, because I don't have another
Athlon CPU, just Intel.  I know neither the board or the chip is worth
much now, but I'd like to find out which one is dead, and replace it,
because a 600Mhz machine is not shabby, by any standards, even if it is
the original slot A Athlon.  However, I know the whole Slot CPU thing came
and went fast.  From day one it was bad heat dissipating design.  So I
wonder if that may be the problem.  I really don't know.  Any help is
greatly appreciated.  Once again, sorry this is Off Topic, but I'm looking
for any help I can get.

Thanks,

~mike