Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 1998 21:00:46 +0100 (MET)
From:      Paul Dekkers <psd@dds.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   update or not?

Hi

I currently run FreeBSD 2.2.1 on a mashine that's used as a multi-user
system and I'm planning to setup a new mashine that doesn't let users log
in but let it play web-server or mail-server or smth like that...
I'm planning to put FreeBSD 2.2.1 on that server, but is that a good idea?
I'm just doing it because I have that version on CD and I don't have newer
versions... (although I can buy them) - Is the new version really that
changed (security holes or in any other aspect (which? speed?) that I'd
immediately buy the new version?

So my main question: should I upgrade or not, or install a new version or
not, or even both? :-)
Are there many major bugs, and if so, can I find a list on the net of
security-holes in the version I'm currently using? (maybe I'm taking a big
risk because it's a multi-user system?!)

If I'd upgrade the multi-user system, can I do that without any
pain? What can I do to let it go nice and so on...?!

Thank you,
(On linux I never doubt upgrading because I know there are many security
holes, but is that too on FreeBSD...)
Paul

P.S. Or is it worth setting up for my home-system: is the awe 32 pnp
supported? (including midi-player and so on?) (in that case it would be
of interest ;-))