Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 01:44:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1016613433.9c3edf@mired.org>
Cc:        Terrac Skiens <terrac@cloudfactory.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Which list?

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Mike Meyer wrote:

> In <Pine.LNX.4.21.0203142356101.28837-100000@stratus.cloudfactory.org>, Terrac Skiens <terrac@cloudfactory.org> typed:
> >  I need assistance in getting my system back from the point of
> > near-deadness. I screwed up the CVSup and got 1/2 way into a make
> > installworld of the current tree. I am stuck with a 4.2 kernel and 1/2 a
> > 5.0 userland. oops, my bad.
> >  i can't get root, I get all sorts of weird errors. which list is best for
> > my plight?
>
> This one. -questions is almost *never* the wrong place to ask a
> question, so long as it's pertinent to FreeBSD. At worst you don't get
> an answer in a couple of days, and try another list. At best, you get
> the answer. In the middle, you get pointed to another list.
>
> I'd recommend booting the 4.2 fixit cdrom, mounting your file systems
> under /mnt, then copying userland from the CDROM to /mnt. That should
> get you running off your disk again, though it's not optimal. While
> you're at it, go to /mnt/dev and do a "./MAKEDEV all" to make sure
> you've got the right devices. At this point, you can cvsup the sources
> you want to install, and try again.
>
> On a related note, if you're installing -current, the approach of
> newfs'ing the disk and starting from scratch should be perfectly
> acceptable, if not optimal. If you can't afford to fry a system, you
> probably can't afford to run -current on it.
>
> As an aside to those who haven't been paying attention, *this* is why
> we always install and boot a new kernel before trying to install the
> world.

What a great answer.  I wonder how others who need it will find it
in the archives.  Keywords trouble, crisis?

Another option (not as good as a fixit CD) is booting from an
installation CD and using the "Upgrade an Existing System" option
to reinstall such distros as you may choose.  I think the bin
distro (which is necessary here) may overwrite /etc, but it
should be backed up somewhere.  I suggest this because some
people won't have a CD #2 or be able to download/burn the second
CD from an ftp site.

	Annelise
--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC