Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 10:39:35 +0100
From:      Achim Patzner <ap@bnc.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Current, XEON and MP performance

I don't know where to ask first (or what to look at) so I'd like some
creative guessing by some people closer to the sources...

Running the same programs on nearly identically configured -CURRENT kernels
on a HP NetServer LH4 (four 550 MHz PIII Xeon with 512MB Cache, supposed to
be an INTEL 450NX-based chipset) with one GB RAM and a home-grown ASUS
P2-BDS based system (two 450 MHz PIII) with 512 MB RAM I find that the
programs (running on the same input data) on the "smaller" machine tend to
take only a third of the CPU time they need on the LH4. [Worse: The LH4
behaves like a spoilt brat when it comes to hardware, disliking the Intel
EtherExpress that came with it (generating bus mastering problems after
bringing it up), having interrupt routing problems with two DEC TULIP based
ethernet cards sharing the same IRQ and being picky just which 3C906B-TX it
gets plugged in. It's a bitch and I'd like shooting it. Oh yes - HP has been
very helpful, telling me that I was at least 10 years behind wanting to run
a BSD and that only WinNT, HP-Sux and Linux were supported on this hardware.]

Back to the topic: Are there any reasons for these observations? If someone
liked taking a closer look at it I could provide them with access to the
machine (and its console). I ran out of clues...

Achim