Date:      Mon, 08 Jun 1998 12:10:57 +0200
From:      "IBS / Andre Oppermann" <andre@pipeline.ch>
To:        Andreas Klemm <aklemm@hightek.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how does PPP CHAP work ?

Andreas Klemm wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I need some quick advice about PPP CHAP, hope you can help.

Yes 8-)

> I have an USR TC Access Router. We only use PAP authentication.
> A typical Radius entry looks like this:
>
> username password, etc ... and then
>                 User-Service-Type = Framed-User,
>                 Framed-Protocol = PPP,
>                 Port-Limit = 1,
>                 Framed-IP-Address = 195.90.205.247,
>                 Framed-Netmask = 255.255.255.0,
>                 Framed-Routing = None,
>                 Framed-Compression = None,
>                 Framed-MTU = 1500
>
> Would that PAP client be able to authenticate via CHAP with the
> same RADIUS authentication entry ? I heard from USR tech support,
> that both pap and chp is supported.

No. You have two problems:

1. PAP passwords are in clear text

2. CHAP is not CHAP, there is one CHAP standard and MS-CHAP
   Please read the discussion in Brians newest userland-ppp

3. CHAP passwords need special handling on the RADIUS server
   (Challenge Handshake Auth Protocol)

> A collegue of mine claims, that it would'nt be possible, because
> CHAP would use a two way handshake, that means, our access router
> would have to authenticate itself with username and password on
> the client access router.

No, that depends on your configuration.

> On the other hand I didn't find any hint in the official radius
> 2.0.1 manual, that there is a switch/token, what authentication
> to use (PAP or CHAP) and no config tokens, where I could set the
> login and password we'd user to authenticate us on the client.

Well, I allow only PAP at the moment because of those problems
but I think you need a CHAP password entry with an special encrypted
password (with the RFC CHAP or MS-CHAP). But that depends IMO on the
RADIUS client/Dial-In server.

--
Andre Oppermann

CEO / Geschaeftsfuehrer
Internet Business Solutions Ltd. (AG)
Hardstrasse 235, 8005 Zurich, Switzerland
Fon +41 1 277 75 75 / Fax +41 1 277 75 77
http://www.pipeline.ch    ibs@pipeline.ch