Date:      Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:55:52 +0200
From:      "R.Schmidt" <ra_schmidt@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel secure level and vinum

Hi

I'm using vinum on 2 boxes for mirroring since Stable 4.1. One system is
a firewall, the kernel secure level is 2, the other one is an internal
system running at secure level -1. Nearly 2 weeks ago I source upgraded
both machines to 4.3-Stable. Vinum can be loaded and everything seems to
work properly, except I'm unable to execute the vinum command on the box
running at secure level 2, the following error message is issued:
Can't open /dev/vinum/Control: Operation not permitted
There might be a good reason not to allow the execution of the vinum
command on a more secured host. Basically I used the output of 'vinum
list' in a simple cron check script to give some notification if
disks/volumes/plexes failed. This is probably even not the best way to
perform such a check, but was simple and it worked. Any other ideas how
to get status information from vinum or how to correct this permission
problem(not by lowering the secure level)? I don't need to be able to
alter the vinum configuration at secure level 2, I only need the status
information.

Thanks for your help

Regards,
R.Schmidt