Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 21:08:08 -0800
From:      "Lin Jianfong" <ljfong@hotmail.com>
To:        syborg@stny.rr.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB mouse oddity

Try doing 'dmesg -a | grep usm'. You should see something that looks like
this (yours might be completely different) :

ums0: Logitech USB-PS/2 Optical Mouse, rev 2.00/11.10, addr 2, iclass 3/1
ums0: 3 buttons and Z dir.]

One good place to start is to look at your kernel configuration file in
/usr/src/sys/i386/conf directory, if you're using GENERIC kernel, it should
be named GENERIC, and look for line 'device ums' line somewhere in it along
the USB device section. If it's not there, you can add it yourself (I highly
doubt this, unless you're using a really old release).

In short, in your kernel config file, these 3 must be present for USB
devices to work :

- 'device uhci' (USB Hub Controller Interface)
- 'device usb' (USB Bus)
- 'device ums' (for USB mouse), 'device ukbd' (for USB keyboard), etc.

As for rebuilding the kernel, see the handbook for details.

Fong