Date:      Fri,  5 Apr 2002 14:43:53 +0200
From:      johann@broadpark.no
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Odd behavior in 4.5-RELEASE

Greetings,

I just installed FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE on a Packard Bell Legend (Pentium 120,
16MB RAM and 17GB HDD) which I tend to use as my gateway.

There are, however, a few issues I consider odd compared to how I'm used to
things working out:

When doing a pkg_add -r, it seems to freeze for a few seconds before it starts
the process and displays the fetch URL. It also froze on the run of BitchX, though
I didn't bother to wait and see if it actually worked.

The first package I tried adding was cvsupit. Besides from the first-minute freeze
the rest of the installation seemed to work well, apart from cvsupit's cvsup
process, where it ofcourse also froze. When I then tried cvsupit -g -L 2
/etc/cvsupfile, I got some sort of library error (something with libXaw, I don't quite
remember).

In the mean time, and quite frequently otherwise, I hear this metallic klinging
sound. I suspect it coming from the HDD, though it might as well be from any
other part of the box.

All of this is just driving me nuts. My grandmother died today. And I got nothing
better to do?

--Johann