Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:11:27 +0000
From:      Tom Hukins <tom@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: announcement of future perl changes.

On Tue, Jun 04, 2013 at 01:48:14PM +0400, Andrej Zverev wrote:
> Second we are trying to modify directory structures where are perl being
> installed.
> Current directory structure look in this way:
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/{PERL_VERSION}
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/{PERL_VERSION}
> where PERL_VERSION consists of [major].[minor].[patchlevel].

I apologise for my late reply, but please don't do this.  If you think
this approach has merit, please argue its case on perl5-porters
instead of subtly forking perl5 in FreeBSD's ports collection,
violating POLA.

Indeed, the Porter's Handbook discourages you from doing as you
propose:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/dads-freedback.html

Perl5 is actively developed in the open.  If you think you have a good
idea that benefits perl, please discuss your idea with the Perl5
maintainers so that other operating systems, and FreeBSD users who
don't use ports/packages can benefit from your work.

Tom