Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 23:17:25 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Kyle Peterson <kyle.peterson@sk.sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Creating disk slices

On Sun, Dec 17, 2000 at 12:09:00AM -0600, Kyle Peterson wrote:
> Hello everybody.  I am having a minor problem installing FreeBSD 4.2.  When
> I am setting up the disk slices, and choose "auto select" (I think that's
> what it is called) everything is OK.  I don't agree with the swap file size
> of 256MB, so I delete the /usr & swap mounts.  I make a filesystem of 64MB
> for the swap, and 1880MB for the /usr filesystem.  When I try to create the
> 1880 /usr filesystem, I get a message saying that it can't create the
> filesystem.  It says "Unable to create filesystem, Too big?".  Why is it
> doing this, I am not entering more space than what I actually have.  BTW, I
> have a 2 GB EIDE drive.  I think 50MB is for /, 20MB for /VAR, and I want
> 64MB for swap and the rest for /usr.  Thank you.

I do believe that when you try to create that last partition, the
default value you will be offered is all of the space left on the
drive. If you type '1880M' and there are actually only 3850239 sectors
(that's one less than 1880MB worth for those not doing the math at
home) it will fail.

If you really think there is a problem, post the _exact_ numbers you
have in your drive specs, the numbers you have on the slice table,
and the numbers you are trying to use on your partitions. We can then
figure out what is going on.