Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 23:07:04 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>
To:        "Ray Smith" <R.Smith@cms.uwa.edu.au>
Cc:        "FreeBSD questions" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: NetMAX and FreeBSD upgrade

On Fri, 18 May 2001 12:23:53 +0800, Ray Smith wrote:

>Unfortunately I don't have another machine that can be used to replace the
>current server. I can probably use an old pentium to transfer "essentials"
>while the server is being worked on - things like our mail server, and the
>file server, but that would be about all it can cope with.

How about doing the setup on that pentium machine. Once you are
happy then you can backup your data, install FreeBSD fresh on
the current server and then restore your data.

Even better/safer. Setup the pentium machine, copy all
data/services to the machine and test it as if you would use it
for production. This way if you encounter problems during the
upgrade you can momentarily use the pentium machine.

As long as one has a good tested backup, the biggest problem I
find with upgrades is time. Specially if it is a major upgrade
(i.e. moving to a new machine).