Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 10:06:24 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        tom@uniserve.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up on LFS

Terry Lambert wrote...

> > > Do you have a URL?  I'm curious at least to see how they're using CAM...
> >
> >   I've had to dig to find it (it is called "Spin", not "SpinOS").
> >
> >   http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/projects/spin/www/
>
> Thanks for digging this out for me; I have it bookmarked at work.
> If only FreeBSD supported Lina Tupple Spaces (;-) another intriging
> hint at a technology to get me asked for another URL)...
>
> The specific pages of interest are:
>
> 	http://www-spin.cs.washington.edu/commands.html
>
> Click on "filesystems".
>
> Then click on "Domains".
>
> FreeBSD is not credited in the "Acknowledgements", but on:
>
> 	http://velvet.cs.washington.edu/spin/docs/overview.html
>
> It says:
>
> 	The device driver layer of x86-SPIN utilizes code from the
> 	FreeBSD Operating System. For this reason SPIN has to be
> 	booted on a machine that has a FreeBSD file system. We get
> 	this by doing a minimal install of FreeBSD on the x86 machines
> 	where SPIN will be run. In addition we have a boot loader
> 	program (salboot.com) that runs either from a dos partition
> 	on the disk or from a floppy.

	I looked around the web site, and I even downloaded the source.  It
looks like they're using FreeBSD kernel sources circa late '96 or early
'97.  If they're using a CAM implementation at all, it must be DEC's CAM
implementation when they run on the Alpha with DEC UNIX.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com