Date:      Sun, 17 Dec 2000 01:16:37 -0600
From:      "Halber Mensch" <shocker@ionet.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: slow opengl response

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C067C7.00F54240

This problem you are seeing is that you are rendering via the software =
method. The GL implementations on XFree86 3.x.x use the MESA GL routines =
that don't take advantage of the accelerated hardware for 3d functions. =
In the XFree86 4.x.x release, we're being introduced to DRI (Direct =
Rendering [Infrastructure?]) that will allow the GL libraries to =
interact with the hardware more functionally. I am getting my system =
geared up to try this as we speak, and I'll post what I find out when I =
get done.

I ran into this problem when I compiled my first GL prog... I was =
running the XFree server in a box in the corner of the room and an X =
server on a windows system as my connection to that server.. when I =
compiled the program I noticed that all of the GL libraries were =
symbolically linked to the MESA libraries. On further reading I figured =
out why - the X window system was not built during a time of 3d =
rendering hardware, so to do hardware rendering through the X protocol =
would be hella insane on the network and also slower than molasses. We =
had to wait for DRI to come about before this was even possible. I've =
heard stories on other Unix platforms (Linux -puke- and HPUX) of =
phenominal success on XFree 4.x.x (provided that the mesa GL libs are =
replaced properly with the new XFree 4.x.x libs, and on some platforms =
like Linux a proprietary driver or set of libs from the manufacturer) =
regarding the use of WINE, 3D apps native to the OS, and 3d apps through =
WINE. One member of my Everquest guild has been able to run EQ through =
WINE, using the hella crappy D3D API with full functional force and he =
says it works great, a lot better performance than windoze.

I found a page that might be an interesting starting point for your =
reading (you'll need to do lots of it, trust me).. it's at : =
http://www.xfree.org/4.0.1/DRI6.html .. this is a brief ( but useful ) =
explanation of how DRI works and how to implement it.

I'll write back when I've completed my experiment (come, Igor!)..

1/2 mensch

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Mike Morgan wrote:

>=20
> I'm running 3.4-stable w/x86 3.3.6 and Mesa 3 for OpenGL support.  =
However
> when i run xscreensaver's OpenGL screensaver shots, the movement is =
sluggish
> and not fluid.
>=20
> I have a Viper 770 ultra tnt2 with 32 megs of RAM so it should moving =
pretty
> speedy.  Plus my system ram is 192 megs, with a PII-400.
>=20
> tnx, as always,
> michael morgan
>=20

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C067C7.00F54240

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>This problem you are seeing is that you are =
rendering via=20
the software method. The GL implementations on XFree86 3.x.x use the =
MESA GL=20
routines that don't take advantage of the accelerated hardware for 3d =
functions.=20
In the XFree86 4.x.x release, we're being introduced to DRI (Direct =
Rendering=20
[Infrastructure?]) that will allow the GL libraries to interact with the =

hardware more functionally. I am getting my system geared up to try this =
as we=20
speak, and I'll post what I find out when I get done.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I ran into this problem when I compiled my first =
GL=20
prog... I was running the XFree server in a box in the corner of the =
room and an=20
X server on a windows system as my connection to that server.. when I =
compiled=20
the program I noticed that all of the GL libraries were symbolically =
linked to=20
the MESA libraries. On further reading I figured out why - the X window =
system=20
was not built during a time of 3d rendering hardware, so to do hardware=20
rendering through the X protocol would be hella insane on the network =
and also=20
slower than molasses. We had to wait for DRI to come about before this =
was even=20
possible. I've heard stories on other Unix platforms (Linux -puke- and =
HPUX) of=20
phenominal success on XFree 4.x.x (provided that the mesa GL libs are =
replaced=20
properly with the new XFree 4.x.x libs, and on some platforms like Linux =
a=20
proprietary driver or set of libs from the manufacturer) regarding the =
use of=20
WINE, 3D apps native to the OS, and 3d apps through WINE. One member of =
my=20
Everquest guild has been able to run EQ through WINE, using the hella =
crappy D3D=20
API with full functional force and he says it works great, a lot better=20
performance than windoze.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I found a page that might be an interesting =
starting point=20
for your reading (you'll need to do lots of it, trust me).. it's at : <A =

href=3D"http://www.xfree.org/4.0.1/DRI6.html">http://www.xfree.org/4.0.1/=
DRI6.html</A>&nbsp;..=20
this is a brief ( but useful ) explanation of how DRI works and how to =
implement=20
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I'll write back when I've completed my =
experiment (come,=20
Igor!)..</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>1/2 mensch</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Mike Morgan =
wrote:<BR><BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; I'm running 3.4-stable w/x86 3.3.6 and Mesa 3 for OpenGL =
support.&nbsp;=20
However<BR>&gt; when i run xscreensaver's OpenGL screensaver shots, the =
movement=20
is sluggish<BR>&gt; and not fluid.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; I have a Viper 770 =
ultra=20
tnt2 with 32 megs of RAM so it should moving pretty<BR>&gt; =
speedy.&nbsp; Plus=20
my system ram is 192 megs, with a PII-400.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; tnx, as=20
always,<BR>&gt; michael morgan<BR>&gt; <BR></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C067C7.00F54240--