Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 1995 18:24:21 +0100
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   A couple problems in FreeBSD 2.1.0-950922-SNAP

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY writes:
>Sorry if this shows up twice. The one I sent last night hasn't come
>back yet, don't know if it got lost in the ether.
>
>1)
>
>% man -k rune
>EUC(4)                   - EUC encoding of runes
>UTF2(4)                  - Universal character set Transformation Format encoding of runes
>mbrune(3), mbrrune(3), mbmb(3) - multibyte rune support for C
>setrunelocale(3), setinvalidrune(3), sgetrune(3), sputrune(3) - rune support for C
>%man setrunelocale
>No manual entry for setrunelocale

a)
FreeBSD-{stable,current}/src/gnu/usr.bin/man/makewhatis/makewhatis.perl
are differ, current/*/makewhatis say:

setrunelocale(3), setinvalidrune(3), sgetrune(3), sputrune(3), rune(3)
                                                               ^^^^
- rune support for C

which give you a change to find the manpage.

The real problem is that many manpages are bogus.
E.g. try: $ manck -M /usr/share/man

(manck is a package: sysutils/manck-1.0.tgz)

Wolfram

--
Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>