Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2005 10:48:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Joshua Lewis" <jmlewis@dslextreme.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Mail Server

Do I need to have a *_enable="YES" line in my rc.conf in order to start my
courier-imap-pop3 and courier-imap-imap servers? Or do I have to enable
inetd?

I have been pulling my hair out for weeks trying to setup my first mail
server using how toos from high5.net and workaround.org.

I have tried to look in /var/log for any log files that could indicate why
I can not pick up mail. But I don't see any log files at all so I suspect
they are not running. The server accepts mail fine I just can't pick it
up. I don’t know if it matters but I am trying to setup virtual domains
with no local system accounts. Including the domain of the computer it’s
self. Does that affect anything? Again I can accept e-mail fine so I don’t
expect it does.

I can't figure out if courier is running. I recall a command like "ps -aw
|grep imap" but I don't think I am using the correct switches because I am
not getting what I am expecting.

If someone could tell me how to see what servers are running on my system
and let me know if there is a special way to start my pop3 and imap
daemons, I would be very grateful. Ultimately I would like to use the ssl
versions of pop3 and imap.

But I can not find any documentation on how to start courier at startup
and I am wondering if I have to enable inetd. I was told that inetd is a
big security risk. So would like to avoid that if possible.

I have asked this question elsewhere and have not received any responses.
Any suggestions are very welcome and appreciated.

Thank you,
Joshua Lewis